Friday, August 1, 2008

My little big girl!

Kayla got her bike for her fifth birthday. She is now 6 plus some and finally decided she isn't chicken anymore.

I can't even remember when I took her training wheels off, but it had to be in the Spring sometime. I helped her up the road a few times, but she was so darn scared, she wouldn't even try - which only frustrated me. I told her she had to try, I wasn't going to put the training wheels back on. She wanted to wait until she was 7 to take them off.

Well, sitting on the swing last night watching the kids and enjoying the evening, Kayla got on her bike and was practicing balancing on it. I then heard her say, "I'm 6. I can do this!" She was trying to scoot down the sidewalk but Ruger and Chey were playing and wouldn't stay out of the way. So, she moved over to the driveway.

Jason had come home in the meantime, and was sitting with me on the swing talking to Eric on the phone. All of a sudden I hear this scream, "MAAAHM!! LOOK AT MEEE!!" I looked in the direction of the high pitched squeal and see my little big Kayla riding her bike past the car!

"O my..." was all I could get out as I watched her ride her bike, without training wheels, all by herself, up the street. She stopped just before the house next door, hopped off, and started jumping up and down with her hand on her chest. She was literally shaking with excitement and pride!

Abriana had been riding her bike up the street and when she turned around and saw Kayla riding her bike, she too stopped. She yelled out, "I must be dreaming! I can't believe it!"

I heard Jason say, "Sorry, I'm a little distracted. Kayla just took off on her bike by herself."

Cheyenne ran to the edge of the grass and yelled, "Good job K-K!"



It was a very proud moment for all us to watch her grow up right then and there before our eyes.

No comments: