Monday, February 11, 2008

Technology sucks!

Sunday we decided to go look for sheds, but first stop by Redmond to see what it looks like. The lake is fed by a natural spring so we didn't know if there would be ice or what. There is very little ice.

As we were driving by just looking, we saw a guy hook up and start reeling. Jason says, "Oh, he's just got a 6 inch catfish or something small like that." But his pole was bending in the way it would with something big. So we spun around and watched him reel in; he had a Pike!

Once he unhooked his fish, he noticed us and Jason tells him, "NICE pike!" He replies, "It's been a nice day!" We asked if we could see his fish and he welcomed us all to come on down. So we trotted down the hill and found that he and his brother-in-law each had 3 Pike on a stringer. All of them around 2 feet.

We had a great time talking to these two 'good ole boys' that grew up in Salina. They have been friends since they were 'youngsters' and continue to cause trouble and just live it up. They are a hilarious pair. Did I ever say I love it down here? Well if I haven't, I do! Jason and I got such a kick out of hanging out with these guys. They were so friendly, funny and just Grandpa's at heart.

As we were talking, one of the poles got a bite, the one guy says to me, "Are you gonna get that or watch it?" So I grabbed the pole and got to reel in my first pike! However, the bugger flipped right when it got to shore and spit the hook. Oh, well, it was still neat.

Then another pole twitches and Milt says to the girls, "Who's going to get this one?" Abriana backed off playing at being shy, but Kayla ran right over, "I DO, I DO!!" I was surprised! Kayla is the shy one and one that gets bored with fishing so she doesn't even do it.

Now this is the part where technology sucks! I took pictures of Kayla reeling in a 27inch pike with the help of Dad and Milt. I took pictures of her holding her pike, with a huge grin and sun on her face. I took pictures of the next fish she was asked to reel in with the other pole. I took pictures of the gentlemen standing with Kayla holding the 36 inch pike she didn't have the strength to hold up. I took pictures of lil' Chey hauling boulders around; she was being a tough girl picking up the biggest rocks she could get her hands under. I took pictures of Abriana enjoying the sunshine and sliding down the hill. I even did playback to show everyone the shots I got. But when I got home, they were mysteriously gone. The only pictures on the camera were the ones of the rest of our day.

When it was time for the guys to head out, they gave us the pike Kayla reeled in and 2 more! It was a really cool afternoon at the lake!


I took this one of Kayla in the house before we filleted her fish.


Then Chey wanted to hold the fish!


After we left the lake, we went east to look for sheds. However, the snow was in the perfect condition to wheel and once we were done screwing around, it was a little too late to look. Besides, Cheyenne's legs are still a bit short to be walking around in the deeper snow where we needed to be looking.

So what did we do? We looked for deer - again! This picture was taken with Grandma Linda and Grandpa Russ in mind. How many deer are here?


I don't know how well it will work for you and how good it looks on your computer, but the answer is 7.

We were cruising down the road headed home and spotting deer way out there, when something appeared in the road. Turkeys!! There were four of them, but one took of the other way. The batteries on the camera decided they had had enough for the day so I couldn't zoom in. I was just snapping quick pic's to hopefully get a good shot before the turkeys were gone and the batteries completely died. I didn't do too bad.


Well, it was another fine weekend for all of us at the Thomas Tiny Ranch. Jason fried up the fish for dinner and we made plans to go catch our own pike!

No comments: