Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My first garden...

Jason and I have discussed having a garden since we moved here. Neither one of us knows much about gardening, nor is there a green thumb in the relationship, but we decided it can't hurt to try.

The soil down here is not soil, it is San Pete clay, and in the summer - dust. Our neighbors told us anything we want to plant will grow, but just to make sure, Jason went to the dairy and got a truck load of compost.


It was a bit much for the truck; notice how low the back end sits. You should've seen the springs!

We shoveled it all out and borrowed the neighbors tiller.


Then I put the kids to work helping hoe rows (without a hoe). They did a great job and had fun playing in the dirt.


Chey helped play in the dirt and knock soil back down.


But we got it done and made a little irrigation system so the water will just flow. Jason bought the seeds and helped me plant: corn, tomato, dill, cilantro, jalapeno & anaheim peppers, peas, carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, and 5 different kinds of squash. When the plants arrive at the Ace, we will get strawberries and raspberries planted. We'd like to plant some fruit trees, but that may have to wait until next year.

Wish us luck! My mom text me last night and said the plant I planted for her is doing awesome. Jason said, "Our garden is going to suck!" When I told Mom that she asked why. I said, "Because I can't even grow a house plant!" The one I planted for myself, with the same seeds, is not doing as well as hers is and I've recently lost the luscious plant my sister-in-law gave me. I did not inherit my grandma's green thumb, that's for sure.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

Good luck with your garden. I can't believe how old Chey is looking. I hope that you continue to have great adventures, keep us posted, sorry that we can't be there.